This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Wednesday 28 April 2021

Haboob


 This lighting was originally going to be used on a Vampires of Venice painting but I changed my mind over my breakfast coffee and decided it would better suit a dust storm (Haboob: Arabic for dust storm) in an Orientalist setting.

Just outside a desert city a Haboob has passed through and the air is full of settling sand with the low sun dimly shining through it. In some encampments near the oasis outside the city gates some nomads hunker down for the rest of the day in their tents and light some fires to cook their evening meals.

I have a collection of vintage postcards of The Middle East and wanted some of the feel of the ones that had been hand-coloured of desert scenes. This painting is a possible for my upcoming slot on Every Day Original in late May.

Oil on linen 16" x 12".

There is a short step-by-step progress through this painting including what colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment