This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 9 March 2021

The Vampire of Ponte Foscari - stages 1 & 2

First stage

 I had unfinished business left over from the previous vampire painting in that I wanted the vampire to be noticed later after the eye has been drawn to the light but due to the square format the figure of the vampire was too near to the light to make the idea work. This time I chose to use a longer rectangular format so that I am able to move the vampire well away and hopefully won't be noticed until the eye has first been drawn to the light area to the right.

Venice is always portrayed as a romantic city where couple go for their honeymoon etc but to me Venice has always been a mysterious place particularly when you walk around it at night. To me it is the Venice of movies like "Don' Look Now" hence my decision to populate the place with vampires!

The first stage is the tonal underpainting "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and then the tone was applied with a flat brush and a rag using the same paint mix.

The second stage is the first rough colour pass using mixes of the following colours: Winsor Violet, Ultramarine Violet, Prussian Blue, Chrome Green, Burnt Sienna, Permanent Orange, Naples Yellow and Zinc White.

Second stage

 

No comments:

Post a Comment