This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 23 January 2020

Butte - stage 1

Following on from the previous painting "Shadowland" this is another desert scene this time in Arizona in which all of the landscape will be in shadow again except this time the late afternoon sun is hitting the distant butte. The colours will be much warmer as it is set later in the afternoon and I will be introducing more variety of colour into the land in shadow but still painted by pushing around mainly transparent paint. This is another in my "The Big Sky" series of paintings which seem to be veering towards American Landscape and away from the urban locations.
This is just the stage where I have mapped out where the clouds are going in the sky by rubbing them out from the glaze with a rag. I used a mix of Phthalocyanine Turquoise, Lemon Yellow, Zinc White and Permanent Orange thinned with Liquin.
I have also roughly painted in the butte picking up the sunlight with a mix of Burnt Sienna, Permanent Orange and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin.
Oil on linen 30" x 20".

No comments:

Post a Comment