This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Friday 20 November 2015

Adult Books

After the recent series of more "fantasy" oriented paintings for Illuxcon I have got back to another one in my Roadside America series. Certain things I have learnt from this recent work are being carried across to inform my Roadside America series. In this case I have used transparent colour only for the sky and more opaque colours for the land and buildings. By keeping the colours in the sky transparent you can get the sky to glow with colour and look more natural than trying to paint it in opaque colours.
The picture is actually of an adult book store on the outskirts of Detroit and I have tried to emphasise the dichotomy between a mundane and in this case tawdry urban scene with a romantic evening sky setting. I quite like the subtle surrealism of the central cloud mimicking the shape of the billboard as though it was disintegrating in the air. 
Oil on linen 20" x 16". There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment