This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 28 April 2022

The Rain Temple of Iro Ki


 I am moving on with my Orientalism fantasy paintings to Japan influenced by my relatively recent love of Japanese Shin Hanga prints. It started from seeing some posted on Facebook and then I bought a book of my favourite artist Yoshida Hiroshi and then more recently my friend Rory Walker dropped off three more books of this work including a monograph of Kawase Hasui who is my other favourite artist from this period and indeed it is the rainy landscapes by him that are the influence behind this painting. I don't know a lot about Japanese culture so I'm taking it slowly at the moment but am hoping to paint a few more particularly if they look as though they might sell as well as the Middle Eastern subjects have; at the moment I have no idea if this subject matter is of interest to my usual (or new) buyers....

I based it on a muted yellow/violet colour complementary which I think has gave it an interesting atmosphere.

I will either post this on Beyond The Every Day or I will show it at IX in Reading PA in October.

Oil on linen 22" x 16"

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting including what colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment