This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 21 April 2022

The Lost City of Ubar

 


This is the first of my Orientalist Fantasy paintings that is based on a ... real fantasy.

Ubar is called The Atlantis Of The Sands, a legendary lost city in the Southern Desert of the Arabian Peninsular thought to have been destroyed by a natural disaster or punishment from God; indeed there is a book about it by Ranulf Fiennes called "Atlantis of the Sands - The Search for the Lost City of Ubar".

Here we see it rising out of the desert like a mirage in front of a weary traveler as he makes his way across the sand dunes of the Rub' al Khali - The Empty Quarter (the subject for a forthcoming painting). I chose a green/blue - orange/red colour complementary for this one  trying to separate the foreground from the background by making it darker so that there are two places in the same picture as it were. I based the architectural style of the buildings particularly the city walls on Arabia although being as it is a Fantasy painting in The Arabian Nights vein I have mixed in other Islamic styles as well.

This will be posted on my upcoming slot on Every Day Original on April 28 for purchase.

Oil on linen 16" x 12".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting including the colours used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment