This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 17 June 2019

Oliver's Island Autumn Sunrise - stages 1 & 2

Stage 1
Actually I did these a few days ago but have been away for the weekend where there was no wifi or phone signal so the is the first chance to post them. This is the last in this series of paintings of the same location in different lighting and season etc. I was going to do a Summer one with blue sky and fluffy white clouds but I didn't think that would fit with the others so I went with another more dramatic tonal one instead. I actually have a bit of a dilemma with the poplar trees on the island; I went there last week and was mortified to see that they are not there any more but for continuity's sake I have decided to keep them there for the last one. 
Stage 1 was "drawn" up first with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet with some Liquin and then with a rag I rubbed in the tonal underpainting over it using the same paint mix.
Stage 2 is the first colour pass on the sky and in common with the rest of this series it is based on a blue/green - red/orange colour complementary. Colours used were Phthalocyanine Turquoise, Pale Violet, Permanent Orange, Burnt Sienna, Lead Tin Yellow Lemon, Yellow Lake Deep, Zinc White and Warm White - all Michael Harding paints.

Stage 2

No comments:

Post a Comment