This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Friday 24 August 2018

Agharta

Agharta is a Buddhist concept of the Subterranean World and is believed to be secretly located somewhere in Tibet, the gateway being guarded by Lamas. There are also connections to the Hollow Earth theory of advanced Atlanteans living under the Earth's crust in Antarctica with Nazi connections to this theory through some expeditions sent by them to Tibet and Antarctica and a mysterious voyage by a U Boat to Antarctica at the very end of the Second World War.
This is a companion picture to some recent ones like "City Of The Sky People" and "Butte States" in that it has a fantasy city in it with an emphasis on the sky. This picture was originally going to be of Antarctica but when I came across the Tibetan connections I decided it would be more visually interesting to set it there.
It was originally conceived as being painted in desaturated colours in quite a limited palette but once I had painted in the underpainting I changed my mind and went for a warm top half and a freezing cold bottom half with the cave glow breaking up the otherwise fairly monochromatic bottom part of the picture. Compositionally I have placed the cave with Tibetan buildings above and the foreground tower building at a third in from the sides forming a central diamond with the background mountain. The mountain is loosely based on Mount Kailash (Meru), the most sacred mountain in Tibet and important to Buddhists.
I hope to be bringing this to show at IX in October. Oil on linen 30" x 20".
There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

Agharta is also the title of a favourite Miles Davis album...

1 comment:

  1. My favorite was stage 11. It was perfect IMO. The end result is nicely rendered but I loved the fact that the peak with the sunlight was the center of attention on stage 11 as detail trailed off into the beautiful red rocks on either side. Great job!

    ReplyDelete