This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 28 July 2015

Sanctuary Of The Sun - stages 1 and 2

Another painting that is hopefully heading for Illuxcon whereby I am hoping to develop the successful elements of the last picture into this landscape of abandoned ruins. I say abandoned but there will be an implied narrative like the last picture this time of a small figure within the arch and below the sun that has their arms outstretched towards the sun as though some rite was being performed. I want a still, somewhat melancholic feel based around an analogous mix of pinks,violets and oranges and is in fact influenced by a painting by Sydney Long called "Spirit Of The Plains". The first stage was "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and turpentine. I then washed in a mix of Burnt Sienna, Alizarin Crimson and Burnt Sienna thinned with Lukas Number 5 Medium and turpentine with a rag (this meant it was dry to paint over in the afternoon session) over the ground and ruins and Quinacridone Red thinned with Lukas Number 5 and turpentine over the sky. In the afternoon I painted in some rough colours for the underpainting.



No comments:

Post a Comment