This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 29 February 2024

The Safe House


 The fourth in this as yet untitled series of metaphorical landscapes is set somewhere in an imaginary Kansas as I wanted a flat horizon with a house looking lonely and exposed in the vast featureless landscape. I wanted to paint something compositionally simple in contrast to the previous painting that was full of incident but this of course has it's own potential problems in that everything that is there must look right as the eye is not distracted by superficial detail. For some reason I kept thinking of Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz...

I spent a lot of time on the sky as due to it's dominance it had to look right and in the end deviated a lot from my original reference but I think it succeeds in looking rather threatening!

The next one will have an urban setting...

Oil on canvas 39" x 16".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment