This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 19 February 2024

The Safe House - stage 1


 The next painting in the current series this one is set somewhere in Kansas as I wanted a flat horizon for this one as the house must look as lonely as possible within a vast featureless landscape to get the visual and metaphorical idea across. I wanted paint a landscape that is in sharp contrast to the previous one, going from a landscape full of incident to something extremely simple in terms of content. By having such a simple composition causes it's own potential problems: everything must look right as the eye is not being distracted by superficial detail so I need to make sure that the clouds aren't too simple in terms of tonal variation and the foreground grassland must look right too.

This is the tonal underpainting stage using my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Dioxazine Purple thinned with Liquin and applied with a rag and brush.

Oil on canvas 39" x 16".

No comments:

Post a Comment