This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 26 October 2023

Bestine Bazaar


 This painting came out of some photos some friends had taken in the new Star Wars area of Walt Disney World which showed the architecture of the planet Tatooine with Islamic lanterns adorning them which reminded me of my own Orientalist-inspired paintings. This made sense as the original Star Wars buildings are based on North Africa an area where I have already painted quite a few admittedly fictional locations. The obvious next step was to combine  these two elements in a painting as well as providing variety of subject matter for the paintings going to IX this year, although of course I was in the end unable to attend for medical reasons. The organisers of the show have offered me a solo online show for all this work on their online gallery "IX Gallery" next month.

I decided to use the lighting and softness of an earlier painting "Souk Al Medina" and then transpose these onto a setting on the planet Tatooine of the capital city which I believe is not shown in the movies called Bestine. I decided to have quite a disparity in height in the figures to emphasise the fact that not all the figures are human, after all Star Wars has many types of beings and non-beings in it's concept.

Oil on linen 22" x 16".

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

Souk Al Medina

 

No comments:

Post a Comment