This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Saturday 21 November 2020

The Star of Night - stage 1

 

Searching through a Dictionary of Symbols about the Moon for a title to yet another moonlight painting I came across the phrase "the star of night" which will do just fine for this picture.

This is the fifth of a series of Tonalist paintings of the Brighton/Hove seafront very near to where I live, this location being at the bottom of Grand Avenue in Hove as it meets the seafront. I have got back from the pub past midnight on many occasions over the years when I have decided as I get to the front door to go in to turn around and head for the seafront instead particularly if it's a mild night. It really is a treat to walk by the railings along the promenade and hear the lovely sound of the surf moving the shingle, the smell of the sea and of course the Moon hanging high above the sea illuminating the clouds. OK I'm a bit drunk... but it is quite magical.

So this is part memory/part imagination of the seafront under a moonlit sky. This is the tonal underpainting stage when it was first "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and then the tone put on with a rag using the same paint mix. I have also decided to work on a larger canvas than previous ones as it might promote more interest from a gallery - there is a decent-looking one just a couple of minutes from where I live... if I decide to approach them. 

It is also nice to get back working on a square format which I used to work exclusively on for many years previously.

No comments:

Post a Comment