This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 22 September 2020

Pier


 So I'm getting a grip on Tonalism, it's all about the mood not the subject matter and I managed to hold myself back from how I would normally paint this which is the "Illustrative" approach; as an illustrator you compose and paint it all to best show the characteristics of the subject to it's full advantage i.e. Illustration is part of Packaging you could say. Here the subject matter is secondary to the mood and colour.

This is the Palace Pier in Brighton, the city where I live but I have made it quite small and in the distance yet because it is lit it is still a secondary focus to the picture. I like to compose in triads, here we have three light areas spaced out across the picture in a hopefully interesting way; the distant pier, the Moon in the sky and the moonlight on the water by the kiosk.

Oil on linen 20" x 16"

There is a short step-by-step progress through this painting including which colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment