This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 14 May 2020

Valley of the Rocks - stage 1

Valley of the Rocks is the translation of the Navajo name for Monument Valley where this picture is located. I have painted this location before ("Desert Daybreak") but feel that I never gave this view from the road the justice that it deserves so I'm painting it again in a larger format. I am going to paint it like the last picture in this ambiguous day/night lighting that I have developed as it seems to give a magical dreamlike feel. As usual I have composed it with the Rule of Thirds as it gives a satisfying look to the composition.
I "drew" up this stage very simply with a small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin in the morning and then when it was dry I applied a glaze of the same colour mix with a rag just to put in some simple tone in the afternoon. I could have started on the sky but I don't want to rush it and prefer to spend tomorrow on the tonal underpainting of the sky area instead. What's the hurry? All this lockdown time makes me less in a hurry and I can be more relaxed with my working time.
Oil on linen 30" x 20".

No comments:

Post a Comment