This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Saturday 4 April 2020

Maitland - stage 1

I have an idea for a night time painting showing white clouds slightly moonlit in the sky above a dark Pennsylvania landscape with some warm light in the windows of a house nestling in the valley, kind of a comforting picture - for me anyway!
I had a great drive through Pennsylvania last year on the way to Reading for IX with some friends I had been staying with in the Washington DC area. I like the style of the wooden houses I saw and and must have filed it away in my head somewhere because I thought they would be an ideal architectural style of house for the painting that I am now planning. 
Maitland is the nearest town to this location. 
This is the early stage where I have "drawn" it up with a thin bristle brush using my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin. I have somewhat overstated the lines because there will be some dark glazes of tone going over all of the landscape and they need to show through. This picture will be based on a blue/orange complementary with the warm orange light in the windows set against a predominantly blue landscape and sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment