This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 20 April 2020

La Sal - stage 1

Following on from the last picture this is going to be another contre jour of a nearby location called La Sal Viewpoint in the Arches National Park. I want to do a vaster landscape with less emphasis on an iconic butte so that it is more about the landscape and sky. This will be another dusk painting but set at a slightly later time than "Tower of Babel" and will be centred around a blue/green - red/orange complementary... at least that's the plan. I am going to paint the sky in a different way this time with darker clouds scumbled over a yellow/green sky with some long thin clouds near the horizon with a strip of pink/orange showing through in places. I normally rough the clouds in at the tonal underpainting stage... but not this time as I want to see if I can get them to look a bit more insubstantial and looking like they are floating in the sky better than previous efforts.
This is the first tonal underpainting stage "drawn"up with a small bristle brush and then some tone applied with a rag later on using the same paint mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin.

No comments:

Post a Comment