This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Saturday 22 February 2020

The Vampire of Rio de la Veste

I think I'll take a rest now from these monochromes so this will be the last "Vampires of Venice" painting for a while as I get back to some more "The Big Sky" pictures. 
I based this one on a different colour monochrome, a mix of Indanthrene Blue, Ultramarine Violet and Permanent Orange (to temper the saturation) thinned with Liquin and applied with a rag and brush in a series of glazes. I have learnt to paint the whole picture from one large pile of mixed paint as it is very difficult if you run out to get the exact same mix of colours again and any area using a different paint mix shows up straight away. 
So far I have been choosing to set the pictures in the quiet back streets of Venice and not the more famous and obvious locations that shout out "Venice!" For instance Rio de la Veste is in the famous San Marco Sestiere of Venice where St Mark's Square etc is located which is constantly thronged with thousands of tourists (at least in the day time) but once you leave that area it all becomes somewhat quiet and mysterious. Indeed this is the main attraction of Venice for me, walking around at night in the dimly lit back streets, beautiful but mysterious too, no wonder films like "Don't Look Now" were set here.
Oil on linen 16" x 12".

No comments:

Post a Comment