This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 8 July 2014

Lonely Street - stage 1

This is a painting influenced by the etchings of Edward, Hopper, Martin Lewis and Film Noir movies. I will just take one of my city paintings to Illuxcon which if it works out how I see it in my mind's eye will be this one. It's the wrong side of town, Low Rent I think it's called, and some guy in hat and overcoat is emerging from a subway station in a deserted part of the city, in the distance can be seen some Downtown buildings, modern with lights in windows, here nowhere is open apart from a dimly lit diner in the left of the picture. His looming shadow caused by the bright light emerging from the subway exit is cast against a red wall on the side of a building opposite, a meat packers now closed until early the next morning. A train moves along the Elevated Railway at top left. The subway entrance is based on Astor Plaza in New York but I have moved it to the Wrong Side Of Town. The first stage was to work out where things were going using a brush and thinned down paint, the second part was to apply a tonal wash with a rag - both stages used my usual combination of Burnt Sienna and Dioxazine Purple thinned with Liquin and turpentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment