This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Saturday 6 April 2013

A Sidestreet In Madurai - stages 1 - 3

Burnt Sienna "drawing"
Tonal underpainting
These are the first two days work on a step-by-step I am going to post of the second painting I am working on from reference taken on my recent, somewhat truncated visit to Cochin and Madurai in October 2012. It demonstrates my current way of working that now dispenses with a preliminary charcoal drawing and instead starts with a rough but relatively accurate "drawing" painted with in this case Burnt Sienna which is quickly followed by a tonal underpainting in the same colour for the first days' session. The third picture shows it at the end of day two in which I have roughly put in a first layer of colour that helps me to get an overall idea of how the colour is going to work, particularly as to how the atmosphere is to develop. The old central part of Madurai around the main temple is a chaotic and colourful experience that I want to get across in the painting. My main concern is how to integrate the box-like shrine in the left foreground with the rest of the picture which is compositionally a potential problem. 
 
First layer of colour


No comments:

Post a Comment