This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Friday 30 October 2020

Time To Go Home - stages 1 & 2


 I have used this title before but what the hell.... After painting a couple of quite fiddly pictures recently I fancied getting back to something Tonalist that is about colour and mood so I thought that it would be nice to do another Brighton/Hove seafront painting but instead of a nocturne this one would be daylight albeit with plenty of clouds! The sky is from a photo I took years ago on Brighton seafront one winter afternoon as a snowstorm approached from the East and five minutes later you couldn't see much at all as the snow got going.

The first stage was the tonal underpainting for which I used my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and applied with a small bristle brush and a rag.

The second stage was the first colour pass on the sky and another layer of the underpainting mix on the land. Colours used for the sky were: Ultramarine Violet, Manganese Blue Hue, Permanent Orange, Yellow Ochre Deep, Yellow Lake Deep, Lemon Yellow and Zinc White.



No comments:

Post a Comment