This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Friday 10 April 2020

Maitland.

I thought that it would be a nice change to do a night sky in my "The Big Sky" series (the next one might be too) without making it look particularly threatening or ominous, my usual default! In fact I kind of wanted more of a comforting image of a lone house in a peaceful valley at night with ghostly clouds scudding across the sky but all the lights are on as though it was a haven of family life within a deserted landscape.
I had a great drive last year through Pennsylvania on the way to IX from the Washington DC area when I noticed the style of wooden houses in the area which I really liked and when it came to choosing a location for this picture I remembered all this and decided that one of these houses in the Pennsylvania landscape would be ideal. Maitland is the nearest town to this location.
The whole painting is based on a blue/orange complementary with the Rule of Thirds used as usual in the composition.
Oil on linen 20" x 16".
There is a step-by-step progress through this painting including the colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment