This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 3 March 2020

General Store

Escaping the Stygian gloom of "The Vampires Of Venice" series I stumble into the light of the desert lands of South West America with another "The Big Sky" painting. The work I have been doing with monochromes is now being incorporated into the American landscapes that I will be painting, this being the first one. All of the landscape in "General Store" is based on a monochrome underpainting but this time there is a lot more showing through than I used to have. This now links up the land and buildings in a more satisfying way, indeed I had originally planned to have all the landscape in much darker shadow using lots of opaque paint but when I had got to the stage where the sky was finished I really liked the quality that the land had against it purely as a monochrome. I resolved then to keep the dusty pink general colour it all had and subtly worked colour into that instead of my original plan of much darker colour. I think it has a nice quality of light which I am going to develop in future paintings, indeed I might go back to some recent trial "The Big Sky" paintings and rework them nearer to this look.
The location is near Death Valley in California.
Oil on linen 30" x 20".
There is a short step-by-step progress through this painting including what colours I used in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment