This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 20 July 2017

Midnight Keep

This is the last of the five nocturnes all with the word "Midnight" in the title. I wanted to get away from the more monochromatic blues of the previous four and decided to go for a warmer and more varied palette based on a red/orange - green/blue complementary colour axis. I decided to do a painting mixing the influences of the Hudson River School in terms of scale and grandeur and Atkinson Grimshaw for it's moonlit lighting and colour.
The composition is loosely based on the Rule Of Thirds making sure that the landscape features were asymmetrical to offset the centrally placed figure although I wasn't sure whether to include a figure at the outset - the lovely Naomi Wood was the model as usual! This will be a painting that I intend to show at Illuxcon in October.
Oil on canvas 39" x 16". There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment