This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 29 September 2015

Borderlands

A lone temple overlooks a wet plain that leads to a distant range of mountains, a normally desolate landscape is softened and filled with light as the last sun of the afternoon illuminates the scene. In the foreground a lone figure walks towards a cave that the ancient temple has been built around. This is the farthest reach of the kingdom, beyond here is the unknown, perhaps this is a priestess that tends the shrine within the cave that forms a protection from whatever exists in the unknown lands beyond.
This is the last large painting of the group that I will be taking to Illuxcon next month. The focus of the picture is really the yellows and oranges of the mountain and the reflections in the wet plain, the foreground temple is secondary so the painting is really about light and colour.
I have painted it with what could be called a full-saturation limited palette based on a red/orange - violet  near complementary colour axis (it makes more sense when the painting is seen in the flesh as I am unable to get an accurate photo with my current camera).
Oil on canvas 31 1/2 " x 15 1/2". There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in earlier posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment