This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Wednesday 1 April 2015

Main Street (Jet)

This is another in my ongoing series of Roadside America paintings. It is in a very small town in Oklahoma called Jet which was the working title for the picture but I decided to call it "Main Street" in the end. I want this series to have a certain atmosphere; on the one hand they are almost romantic paintings of ordinary places in America but the combination of the way they are lit, the lack of human activity and the ominous shadow hints at something uneasy. What is casting these shadows? Is there a giant monster walking the land or something worse? I like paintings that are beautiful but have an edge of darkness to them, I don't like Pretty. I guess that there is an influence of Hopper in this although unintentional. I find the American urban landscape much more visually interesting than the UK, maybe there is a certain nostalgia in them from all those TV series and movies I saw as a child as I usually look for buildings from that period for these paintings. Is there some Cold War angst in them?...
Oil on linen 20" x 16". There is a step-by-step progress through this painting on previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment