This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 19 June 2022

The Sea Temple of Tera Umi - stage 1


 After an extended hiatus from painting while I went to the USA for a while I am finally back to working again. I'm hoping to have it ready for my upcoming slot on Every Day Original on 28 June... might be a bit tight. If it is I have an older painting I can use instead.

Well everybody is talking about the Midjourney AI program/app as people are getting some stunning results with it. I don't intend to compete with those guys (although I would love to reach their standard) and have resolved to use it as a composition generator to produce images that can trigger a painting idea or come up with something that I can adapt.

This is the first one off the production line as it were. I messed around with Midjourney for a while and came up with the image below. Over my breakfast coffee I realised that the misty cloud at the bottom could easily be transformed into the sea. From there I envisaged rocks and stormy waves and then realised I could introduce a Hokusai homage with the wave at bottom right. As you can see I kept some elements of the original and changed others.

This is the tonal underpainting stage using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and applied with a rag and brush.

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".


 

No comments:

Post a Comment