This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 18 November 2018

Cloudscape 6 - stages 1 & 2

Stage 1
This one was set off a few nights ago on the way home when I saw white clouds in the sky as the light was fading to night, so they are not lit by the Moon for instance. I thought an Orientalist setting might suit it and then suddenly realised that I had Orientalist architecture in the city where I live, Brighton Pavilion. It will make more sense when I get the clouds painted in the sky. I will have some artificial orange light in a couple of windows at left making it a blue/orange complementary colour axis.
The first stage was painted in with a small bristle brush for the outlines using my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and then the same paint mix was used for the tonal underpainting, a flat brush used to fill in the silhouette and then the sky was put in with a rag using the same paint mix with a dash of turpentine.
For the second stage I painted in the sky with a mix of Prussian Blue, Kings Blue Light and Permanent Orange and then filled in the silhouette with a very dark mix of Prussian Blue and Permanent Orange, I don't use black.

Stage 2

No comments:

Post a Comment