This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 8 March 2018

Vampyr - stages 1 to 3

Stage 1




Working title only at the moment as there is a video game coming out with the same name...I have just discovered. After the complexity of "A Secret Garden" I wanted to paint something with a darker mood like that but a simpler image. I decided on a portrait of a vampire using similar colours to the last painting - cold desaturated blues for the face and body, desaturated violets for the background and red hair (relatively desaturated) everything painted with semi opaque scumbles and glazes. It will be kept tonally in the dark to mid range with the brightest white just for the light reflections in the black eyes. The lovely Naomi Wood is the model.

I have used a relatively warm Burnt Umber for the underpainting as cold blues and violets will be on top. 
Stage 1 is the basic "drawing" with a thin bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Umber and Vandyke Brown thinned with Liquin and turpentine.
Stages 2 and 3 are wash-ins using thicker versions of the same paint mix but with some Burnt Sienna in the hair. Some Lukas Number 5 Medium and Liquin Impasto was used to quicken the drying time so I could apply two coats in the same day.

Stage 2





Stage 3

No comments:

Post a Comment