This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 16 June 2016

Moonlight In The Seraglio - stages 1 & 2

This painting has been kicking around in my head for about a year but haven't been able to work out what I wanted to do with it until now. It is influenced by the moonlight paintings of Mead Schaeffer and I intend to paint it in blues and blue/purples with touches of red here and there. I want quite a complicated picture surface that hopefully will reduce to a pattern of tones with plenty of contrast between the light and dark areas but with lots of nicely controlled middle values too. Moonlight is shining onto the back wall and the dome beyond but I don't intend the light area to stay as it is here as I want some raking shadows to cut across the walls to create some interesting shapes with reflected light shining onto the foreground figure lying on the divan.
The first stage was "drawn" up with a small bristle brush using a mix of manganese Violet and Burnt Sienna thinned with Liquin and turpentine and the second stage was using the same paint mix but applied with a rag.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment