This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Tuesday 24 February 2015

Dream Of The Odalisque - stages 1 and 2

Another painting hopefully heading for Illuxcon if it works out OK. A Sultan's concubine whiles away a hot afternoon with a nargileh (water pipe). She arches back her head and luxuriously blows out the narcotic smoke into the sultry air dreaming of the unattainable, perhaps of freedom from her gilded prison. Yes I know this is a western fantasy of the harem......
The first stage was to "draw" it up with an old small bristle brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Dioxazine Violet thinned with Liquin and turps. I made a grid using the same paint mixture and "drew" in the figure from my reference photo I had taken on Friday and then wiped off the grid with turps on a rag. The next day I painted a tonal underpainting with a rag using the same paint mixture.




No comments:

Post a Comment