This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Wednesday 10 December 2014

Auto Trim - stages 1 and 2

The title refers to the sign although the main focus of the painting is the red building...which is not Lonnie's Auto Trim. Anyway I came across this in Knoxville Tennessee and thought it might be a nice subject for a painting. I'm trying to make a fairly ordinary urban scene much more interesting by painting it in a very moody and atmospheric way which also seems to bring out a somewhat surreal aspect to the scene as well. I first "drew" it up with a mix of Burnt Sienna and Dioxazine Purple and then washed in a tonal underpainting using the same colour mix thinned with Liquin and turpentine using a rag. The next day I put down a basic colour underpainting which begins to show the lighting and colours that I am intending to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment