This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 14 August 2014

Approaching The Citadel

This follows on from "Arrival of the Concubines" in that it is another Orientalist painting based on colour and atmosphere. A nomad leads his camels towards a walled city, a white marble citadel is mysteriously lit by a moon only seen as a reflection in a desert riverbed in the foreground. An orange glow emanates from a gateway thus providing the complementary colour to the green/blue of the rest of the picture. I have agonised over the amount of moonlight there should be in the water; too much and it dominates the picture so I have kept diminishing it until I felt that it works with the background (the original concept for the painting was the bright reflection in the water as the primary focus but I came to realise that the Citadel was really the focus). The painting is influenced by the work of Atkinson Grimshaw and Albert Goodwin although I now see some Edmund Dulac in there as well (no bad thing!). I hope to take this one to Illuxcon in September. Oil on canvas 19 3/4" x 19 3/4". There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in earlier posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment