This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Wednesday 18 June 2014

Waiting For The Sun - stage 1

Well here we go at last with a new painting following last week's eye operation, the left eye is still somewhat cloudy but is good enough to make a start on a painting hopefully heading for Illuxcon. I have actually used this title on an earlier painting but it was so unsuccessful I took it off my website so I feel free to use it again (another The Doors reference but as usual absolutely no connection to the album!). A naked Dryad looks towards the rising sun in a landscape with no horizontals or verticals so that I can get as much compositional movement as possible. I am undecided about the tree to her left, I don't want it looking like a snake but quite like the way it breaks up the sweep of the small canyon wall. I've put in another waterfall because I like painting them and want the picture to have a vaguely mythological feel to it and am trying to avoid it looking like a regular Fantasy painting although in many ways it is! This is my usual wash-in with a rag using a mix of Burnt Sienna, Permanent Orange and Dioxazine Purple thinned with Liquin and turpentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment