This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 19 November 2023

Binary Sunset


 As the previous Star Wars painting was quite well received (and sold) I decided to do another one this time a moody landscape of the planet Tatooine with the binary suns low near the horizon at sunset. In my mind I saw it quite moody and dark with oranges and pinks in the sky which somehow to me seemed to fit in with a lot of Star Wars visuals I have seen previously. I also chose a widescreen format that I used to work with quite a lot ten or so years ago which I felt would suit the filmic look that I wanted and tied in with the production stills and matte paintings by Ralph McQuarrie and Michael Pangrazio. 

The transition from my Orientalist landscapes of mosques and minarets to this one is actually quite logical as the main building is just another variation on that theme but this time Science Fiction instead. I don't particularly want to do many Science Fiction/Star Wars paintings but depending on how this one is received I do have an idea for another Star Wars landscape this time of the planet Naboo which I fancy painting like an Albert Bierstadt...

This painting has already sold to the same collectors that bought my previous Star Wars piece who had been watching it's progress on this blog after seeing the initial sketch which piqued their interest.

Oil on canvas 39" x 16".

A step-by-step progress through this painting can be seen in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment