This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 3 February 2022

Always There - stage 1


 Aaaah, actually not really stage 1, I never got round to posting the earlier stages due to stuff going on.

I have moved my focus away from abandoned buildings in lonely locations to suburbia like the last one "A Perfect Day". The ideas behind The Big Sky are still being developed with this one about how Nature will still be here when we've all gone (albeit a damaged and polluted one) . So here we have a suburban house in Albequerque (although it could be anywhere really) looking at first a typical comfortable suburban scene but hopefully you will then notice that the house looks as though nobody has lived in it for a long time with peeling paint etc and no cars are in the drives and  weeds are growing in the garden and road. What has happened? Where is everybody? A common theme  in all my The Big Sky paintings. But behind the abandoned suburbia is a beautiful evening sky that nobody sees - it is important that the painting has these two elements, beauty and melancholy....

At this point nothing is actually finished yet, I have only just put in the underpainting for the clouds and the buildings are just toned back ready for the colour to go on. The amount of detail in the last painting bugs me a bit so I am hoping not to be tempted to put too much into this one and run areas of similar tone into each other.

Oil on linen 22" x 16".

No comments:

Post a Comment