My first painting since returning from IX in the USA. I have decided to put some time into work aimed at the US gallery market so this is another in my Roadside Apocalypse series. I have often liked the tonal underpainting stage of what I do and instead of painting over it in colour and obscuring it I have decided to work this look up in the same monochrome. The majority of the painting is made up of a transparent mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet (Dioxazine) initially applied with a small brush and rag. After some trial and error the opaque colour is a mix of the above along with Lead Tin Yellow Lemon and Genuine Chinese Vermillion. I was surprised by this as what looks like a monochrome painting actually has quite a lot of saturated colour in it and earlier paint mixes of adding Zinc White to the transparent purple/brown mix and then trying Burnt Sienna and White all looked awful and were scrubbed out forthwith.
Oil on linen 20" x 16".
There is a very short step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.