This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Friday 7 November 2014

Isle Of Lost Souls - stage 1

After the complications of the last painting I decided to do something simple and tonal. A setting sun reflected in a lake with water lilies in the foreground, an island lies in the middle of the water with a wall around it. Flanked by classical urns on pedestals steps lead up from the water to a classical temple higher up framed by cypress trees. The tonal underpainting has been put in with a rag and brush using a mixture of Burnt Sienna and Dioxazine Purple thinned with Liquin and turpentine. I had to use a brush as the paint does not go down so well on MDF as it does on canvas (I fancied painting on MDF for a change). Obvious influences are the Isles of the Dead paintings by Bocklin and Keller.

No comments:

Post a Comment