This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Friday 7 March 2014

Moonlight - stages 1 and 2

When I was painting "Spirit Of The Falls" I realised that I wanted to paint a moonlit sky with a lot more cloud in it so I resolved to paint "Moonlight" next. I needed to keep the sky fairly simple to contrast with the busy landscape in "Spirit Of The falls" and I didn't want to lose the sweep of the moonlit cloud as it was very much part of the composition structure. "Moonlight" will be very simple, a moonlit sky `a la Atkinson Grimshaw behind a figure sitting on a rocky promontory; a blue/green bright sky with the foreground in middle to dark value saturated colour based around red/oranges. There will be a small moonlit river landscape in the bottom left corner. Stage one was painted in using a rag with a mix of Burnt Sienna and a touch of Dioxazine Purple thinned with turpentine and Liquin. Stage two is a basic colour block-in based on the chosen blue/green - red/orange complementary axis.


No comments:

Post a Comment