This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 14 September 2023

City Of Light


 This is another painting potentially going to IX next month although due to the recent operation I am fretting whether I will be fully recovered by then to make it. I have to decide in the next few days and I'm really not sure at the moment. My framer is waiting for a decision as she needs to start framing them by early next week and is pushed for time as she has another big show to frame up for another artist. I need to let the organisers of IX know very soon as I don't want to let them down so they have to make last minute changes to spaces etc. Also I have arranged to stay with friends in Maryland before IX starts so I need to give them as much notice as possible.

I decided to paint "City Of Light" with the moonlit sky as the previous paintings with this kind of sky sold soon after I painted them so I needed another for the show and as the look seems popular it made sense to paint another for a possible sale. I think I'm doing too many Orientalist paintings but as they seem to sell I guess I need to do more!... but I will need more variety for the show itself.... the next one might be figurative (!). I wanted "City Of Light" to be soft and mysterious but I have discovered that it is difficult to achieve with complicated shapes so "City Of Light" developed in it's own way and I will try the softness on the next one. It is loosely based on a Midjourney piece shown at the end of this post.

The composition is a bit unusual for me in that the main elements of the picture are in a vertical line a third way in from the left (The Rule Of Thirds), I would usually spread these elements around but this time the composition hangs off this line.

Oil on linen 22" x 16"

There is a step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

Midjourney


No comments:

Post a Comment