This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Friday 7 April 2023

Midnight Medina - stage 1


 Although I have finished (for a while) "The Sleeping City" series I am carrying on with the general theme of nocturnes with a single light source but this time using what I learnt in that series to inform a series of paintings on another favourite subject, Orientalism. I was wondering what to do next and then it seemed blindingly obvious to carry aspects of the previous series on into Orientalism just as the "Snow" series segued into "The Sleeping City" series with "Lonely Street". Theoretically at least this series (so far unnamed) will be nocturnes in Orientalist cities but as I like to develop the theme with variations so it may work out to be something different....

This one is based on a Midjourney piece but as you will see I have really only kept the basic structure and lighting as I have redrawn most of the actual contents. This is what I like to use Midjourney for, as a kind of composition generator, the actual piece is shown at the bottom of this post.

This is the initial "drawing up" stage before I add the tone for the initial tonal underpainting which I will do tomorrow (I didn't start this until this afternoon, normally I do both stages in one day... if I have "drawn" it up in the morning it will be dry to add the tone in the afternoon) and uses my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Dioxazine Purple.

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

Midjourney

 

No comments:

Post a Comment