This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Thursday 22 December 2022

Refuge


 This is looking like the first in a series of Winter paintings as other ideas have come out of this one for some more. I like the basic simple theme of a place of warmth amidst a cold but beautiful landscape which I think I can develop in different ways. I wanted this one to look really cold, trying to get over the sound of your footsteps muffled in the snow and freezing air with in the distance a promise of warmth and homecoming. A bit sentimental for me? Dunno, I think it has elements of something universal, something that everybody has experienced in the cold Winter months...

Based around a desaturated blue/orange colour complementary, there were only five colours used in the whole picture. The location is somewhere near Pulborough in Sussex UK from a photo I took forty years ago in Autumn, for the painting I made it nighttime and added the snow.

Oil on fine cotton 16" x 12".

There is a short step-by-step progress through this painting in previous posts on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment