This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 23 January 2022

Diana Ospina


 In the early 2000s I painted this large portrait of a lovely Colombian lady called Diana Ospina who was a language student in Brighton at the time. In those days I was experimenting with gold paints, bronze powders and acrylics very much under the influence of Klimt, indeed in the very late 90s I went to Vienna specifically to see as much Klimt as I possibly could and came back loaded with inspiration.

This was one of the last paintings from my "Gold Period" and was trying out blues against golds and coppers using decorative motifs drawn from her South American/Colombian background. I think I exhibited it in my Brighton Festival Open House that year and after that it went into storage.... along with my "Gold Period" as I moved on to pastures new such as chalk pastels and eventually oils.

A couple of times over the years Diana who was now living in Italy got in touch about the possibility of me giving the portrait to her but they came to nothing for whatever reason I'm not sure. Finally we came back into contact very recently and have finally arranged to get it to her. A cousin came along yesterday to pick it up in his car and he will now organise sending the painting to her. It is pretty large compared to the sizes that I normally work in and hope that he can get it to her in one piece!

Acrylics, gold paints and bronze powders on MDF 20" x 56"


 

2 comments:

  1. you have moved me! You have touched, once again, my soul!
    20 years have passed and Brighton continues surprising me and giving to me treasures that I would never have thought to receive...thank you very much. Con todo mi corazón!

    ReplyDelete