This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 27 December 2020

Isola di Tessera - stage 1


 Sorry for the long gap in posts but I have been working on a commission and I never post up the progress shots or the final painting until the buyer/commissioner has seen it first.

After quite a fiddly commission painting I fancied getting back to something looser so I'm painting a moonlit sky again this time of the Venetian Lagoon. Anyone that has caught the water bus from Marco Polo airport to Venice might recognise this tiny island as the water bus passes it quite close and at some speed. It is a privately owned island that is the first island that you pass after leaving the airport and is called Isola di Tessera. I suspect it is called that because of it's size being likened to a tiny tessara that are laid together to form a mosaic. 

This will be a nocturne with a moonlit sky, moonlight on the foreground water and the lights of the airport on the far horizon. This is the basic drawing up using my usual mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin. Tomorrow I will put in the tonal underpainting with a rag using the same paint mix.

Oil on canvas 23 1/2" x 23 1/2".

No comments:

Post a Comment