This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Saturday 6 July 2019

Dawn of the Hamadryad - stage 1

I have finally got round to painting this after putting it back for various reasons. I think the impetus came from coming across some circular canvas's in Cass Arts in Brighton which seemed to be the final element that I was looking for that I felt it needed to make it worthwhile to paint. A circular painting is called a Tondo and I felt an arrangement of tree branches could be composed that would make the most of a circular format having already decided that the format suited a Figurative piece. 
I had shot reference photos of Naomi Wood at the beginning of the year for this already so I sorted through them and went with this pose having done a trial painting using the elements I was going to include a few months ago called "Dryad" which was handy for making the final decisions on this larger painting.
I first "drew" up the figure with a small brush using a mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin which I let dry overnight. Then I applied the same paint mix with a rag the next day and just winged it putting in the branches, any that I didn't like I rubbed out with a rag dipped in clean turpentine. I tried to arrange the shapes of the branches to make the most of the circular format, in the back of my mind thinking of the way Mucha worked with circles. Hopefully it will come out with a feeling of Herbert Draper and William Waterhouse to it...yes I know a tall order indeed! .. and of course it will come out the way it wants to, I often find that a painting almost has a life of it's own and will come out the way it wants to!
Oil on canvas 24" diameter.

No comments:

Post a Comment