This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Wednesday 26 September 2018

Al Zimbra stages 1 & 2

Stage 1
I intend to paint a number of small pictures to take to IX alongside the larger ones, these like the others will centre on the skies as being the main reason for painting them although the skies are not always the dominating feature compositionally. 
This is just a scene from my imagination, there is nowhere called Al Zimbra, the title is partly from a David Byrne track that I always liked the name of. I originally intended for the colours to be based on turquoise blue/greens painted over warm red oranges, the clouds more fluffy and summery but I suddenly changed my mind and went for a more Maxfield Parrish look with the clouds more vertical and dramatic. I am painting this on a Winsor & Newton Smooth Cotton canvas as the weave is finer than linen and might suit a smaller picture. Oil on canvas 12" x 16".
Stage 1 is the tonal colour underpainting over a very sketchy "drawing". Most of the colour mix of Burnt Sienna and Winsor Violet thinned with Liquin and turpentine was applied with a rag.
Stage 2 is the first colour pass using mixes of Permanent Orange, Unbleached Titanium, Lemon Yellow, Warm White, Venetian Red, Burnt Sienna, Phthalocyanine Turquoise, Kings Blue Light, Naples Yellow and Yellow Lake Deep.
Stage 2

No comments:

Post a Comment