This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 13 October 2014

Dreamer - stage 1

I would very much like to have my work included in an exhibition called "Infra:Real" at the Jonathan LeVine Gallery in New York next year to which end I am painting this as a sample of how I approach Imaginative Realism, the theme of the show co-organised by Patrick and Jeannie Wilshire who recently kindly invited me to the recent Illuxcon event. 
I see this as quite a dreamlike picture of a woman floating in mid air above a strangely lit city street, her eyes closed as though she could be asleep, her shadow is cast on the nearby building at right as it is important that she is not seen as though she is a giant figure standing on a Lilliput - sized street! I have always seen this picture in my mind with a moon in a red background at the end of the street with a strongly directional light coming in from the left cutting across the street in a pattern of light and shadows (probably in blues) with another light illuminating her face and shoulders, the rest of her in shadow. I have decided to draw this up relatively precisely and let it dry overnight before I put in the tonal underpainting with a rag tomorrow. It is important that the drawing is right early on as buildings always show up any inconsistencies in placements of windows etc. As can be seen I gridded up the figure and then erased the grid once the lines were in. All "drawing" up has been with a mix of Dioxazine Purple and Burnt Sienna diluted with Liquin and turpentine.



No comments:

Post a Comment