This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Sunday 29 December 2013

Angkor - stage 1

At last! I am able to start painting again after a hiatus of three months......this is the piece that will go in Mike Pfifer's "Lands And Legends" book. This painting will to some extent be a hybrid between my Fantasy work of years ago but executed in my current relatively painterly style. This is a VERY rough preliminary drawing that has had a tonal Burnt Sienna/Indian Red underpainting over it to establish the approximate arrangement of where things are going. I am going to avoid using any cold colours and will probably employ a gamut map as explained by James Gurney to try and organise the colours to get across the atmosphere of hot jungle  and decaying ruins. Actually I have been there and the vegetation is not as lush as one would expect but here I am depicting how most people imagine it as I want a more fantastical feel to the picture. In line with my current plans for my work this year I am working bigger at 27" x 36" and is on MDF board as I could not find any pre-stretched canvas at this size or proportions.

No comments:

Post a Comment