This is where my latest work can be seen including step-by-step progress reports, news and merchandising as well as features on artists, living and dead who I would like to draw people's attention to. Please note all my images are covered by International Copyright laws. Copyright to other artists images resides with the artist or their estate, their inclusion on this blog a result of my missionary zeal and to no profit for myself!

Monday 9 July 2012

Waiting For The Sun

I need to make some sales, that is the bottom line. It looks like I didn't sell any paintings at the Medici Gallery which leaves me with £1000.00 in framing to cover, let alone make any sort of profit. I have sold a few small pictures this year which gives me reason to think that people are only spending a limited amount on paintings at the moment and maybe they would buy something if it didn't push their budget too much. I think too that subject matter can be important particularly to an artist that is not really established yet so I need to make my work more accessible...and affordable. Recently I have been very taken with the work of William Wray and find it very interesting how he makes potentially very mundane urban scenes attractive and desirable by use of colour and atmosphere through a very painterly impressionistic style. I am fortunate in that I live on the coast of South East England where I have access to a very particular urban environment that many people relate to, even those that do not live here. So I am embarking on a series of small works, each one taking two days to paint and no more (unless I am glazing colours) of my local environment initially whereby working small enables me to put a lower price on the work without compromising myself in terms of the hours spent/what I can charge ratio. This is the first of them called "Waiting For The Sun" which seems very appropriate at the moment in terms of our dire Summer weather!

3 comments:

  1. You’re being very honest Mark, and Im sorry to hear about the lack of sales. I had a piece in the SWA exhibition and it didn’t sell either, but thankfully I’ve got portrait commissions to keep me going. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck - you never know when the next wave of sales might come along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophie, Well that's how it is so that's what I am going to say! These small paintings are actually fun to do so I will go ahead and do more and then think about where to try and sell them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s the spirit! Finding venues to sell is so hard!!

    ReplyDelete